Re-elected Ontario PC government will rebuild Highway 101 and bring back Northlander passenger rail
TIMMINS, May 8, 2022 – Doug Ford and the Ontario PC party will rebuild Highway 101 through Timmins and bring back Northlander passenger rail service to restore vital transportation links for drivers, families and businesses in Northeastern Ontario.
“The Del Duca-Wynne Liberals abandoned Timmins and Northeastern Ontario when they derailed the Northlander, all while Andrea Horwath and the NDP propped them up,” said Ford. “The NDP and Liberals will find any reason to say no to building roads, highways and transit like Highway 101 and the Northlander. They’ll ask for endless studies, reports and committees as the people of Timmins and northern Ontario wait.”
Because of decades of neglect, Highway 101 is now considered one of the worst roads in Ontario by the Canadian Automobile Association.
The Ontario PCs will invest $74 million to rebuild Highway 101 through Timmins, a critical section of road that doubles as a main thoroughfare and provincial highway. It stretches 21.4-kilometres and is a key artery for the mining and forestry sectors and for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods across Northeastern Ontario. The highway will be rebuilt from Kamiskotia Road in the west to the Porcupine Ontario Northland Rail crossing in the east.
“The people of Timmins and northern Ontario deserve better than limited travel options and roads with crater-size potholes,” added Ford. “Only the Ontario PCs are saying yes to rebuilding Highway 101 through Timmins. Only the Ontario PCs will get it done and bring the Northlander back home to Northeastern Ontario.”
The Ontario PCs will also invest $75 million to reinstate the Northlander passenger rail service between Timmins and Toronto, restoring a key transit line connecting Northeastern Ontario to central and southern Ontario. This vital transportation link will also help rebuild northern Ontario’s economy by connecting industries and workers in the north with the rest of the province. A re-elected PC government will also extend the Northlander to Cochrane, expanding service to 5,300 more people and providing a connection point to Polar Bear Express service to Moosonee.
Doug Ford is the only leader with a real plan:
- Rebuilding Ontario’s economy with good manufacturing jobs, more support for small business and a mining plan that will finally open up the Ring of Fire.
- Working for workers by encouraging apprenticeships and opening up jobs in the skilled trades, allowing colleges to grant three-year degrees and increasing the minimum wage.
- Building highways and infrastructure, including Highway 413, the Bradford Bypass while investing in the 401 East
- Keeping costs down by lowering gas taxes, getting rid of license plate stickers and removing unfair tolls on Highways 412 and 418.
- Plan to stay open by hiring more nurses, doctors and personal support workers, allowing more seniors to stay in their own homes and producing more vaccines and critical supplies like PPE right here in Ontario.
Only Doug Ford will Get it Done.